4.16.2011

Helpful stuff: labor & beyond

How's that for an exciting title? But really, it is. Here are a bunch of handy tips and products I've found.


Water birth

Our hospital made us attend a waterbirth class (which I was annoyed about beforehand because I thought it would suck & it cost $40). But it turned out to be really informative, and my husband & I both wanted to ask the nurse who taught it for her beeper number so she could be our L&D nurse. We chickened out, though. Anyway, she recommended bringing some tiny floats for the tub so mama has somewhere to rest her head. Brilliant! I found a package of two little inner tubes at Big Lots for $3, and we bought a Spongebob Squarepants kickboard at Target for $5. (Don't buy the inner tubes at Target -- we made that mistake, and they're way too big to fit into the pool our hospital uses.) She also recommended bringing a fish tank scooper for any, ummm, detritus in the water.


Post-natal


Organic, chlorine- and plastic-free maternity pads for new mamas! I bought these at Whole Foods for $10, and they're available for about the same price (including shipping) on Amazon.

Breastfeeding

I just finished reading this post on breast-feeding and found it ridiculously full of helpful information. I love Peaceful Parenting in general, but this article cemented it as a daily go-to. Yay! And while we're on the subject of breasfeeding, I've read Dr. Sears's book and The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. The latter was better and much more thorough, though both cover the basics of latching on and all that good stuff. I haven't checked out Ina May Gaskin's new book on BF, however, and would love to hear from anyone who has.

(On a side note, has anyone noticed how incredibly repetitive all the pregnancy and childbirth books are? I feel like one good book on each subject would have been enough, but of course I went overboard [as those savvy book publishers knew I would] and now I pretty much own a small library on the subjects. Ah, well, they will be passed along to a lucky friend or relative one day.)

No comments:

Post a Comment